Journal of Nuclear Medicine Radiology & Radiation Therapy Category: Medical Type: Case Report
Dual Parathyroid Pathology; A Common Failure of Technetium-99 Sestamibi Scan for Preoperative Parathyroid Adenoma Localization
- Ahmed Fathala1*, Mervat M Aboualkheir 2
- 1 Department Of Radiology, Nuclear Medicine And Cardiothoracic Imaging, King Faisal Specialist Hospital & Research Center, MBC#28, P.O Box 3354, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- 2 Department Of Radiology, Nuclear Medicine And Cardiothoracic Imaging, King Faisal Specialist Hospital & Research Center, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
*Corresponding Author:Ahmed Fathala
Department Of Radiology, Nuclear Medicine And Cardiothoracic Imaging, King Faisal Specialist Hospital & Research Center, MBC#28, P.O Box 3354, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Received Date: Dec 28, 2016 Accepted Date: Mar 03, 2017 Published Date: Mar 20, 2017
Figure 2A: Coronal T2- weighted magnetic resonance imaging demonstrates T2-high signal intensity well defined soft tissue nodule in the right lower neck (arrow).
Causes of failure of Tc-99 sestamibi to visualise parathyroid adenoma
In summary this case demonstrates coexistence of parathyroid adenoma and unrecognized thyroid cancer and the necessity to evaluate the thyroid gland prior to parathyroid gland surgery. Most importantly Tc-99m MIBI scans valuable in preoperative localization of parathyroid adenoma and less useful for detecting parathyroid hyperplasia. In recurrent or resistant hyperparathyroidism considering cross sectional imaging such as MRI with or without repeated Tc-99m MIBI scan is helpful in localizing parathyroid adenoma or hyperplasia.
- Shah S, Win Z, Al-Nahhas A (2008) Multimodality imaging of the parathyroid glands in primary hyperparathyroidism. Minerva Endocrinol 33: 193-202.
- Ruda JM, Hollenbeak CS, Stack BC Jr (2005) A systematic review of the diagnosis and treatment of primary hyperparathyroidism from 1995 to 2003. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 132: 359-372.
- Fraser WD (2009) Hyperparathyroidism. Lancet 374: 145-158.
- Stephen AE, Chen KT, Milas M, Siperstein AE (2004) The coming of age of radiation-induced hyperparathyroidism: evolving patterns of thyroid and parathyroid disease after head and neck irradiation. Surgery 136: 1143–1153.
- Piñero A, Rodríguez JM, Martínez-Barba E, Canteras M, Stiges-Serra A, et al. (2003) Tc99m-sestamibi scintigraphy and cell proliferation in primary hyperparathyroidism: a causal or casual relationship? Surgery 134: 41-44.
- Piñero A, Rodriguez JM, Ortiz S, Soria T, Bermejo J, et al. (2000) Relation of biochemical, cytologic, and morphologic parameters to the result of gammagraphy with technetium 99m sestamibi in primary hyperparathyroidism. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 122: 851-855.
- Turgut B, Elagoz S, Erselcan T, Koyuncu A, Dokmetas HS, et al. (2006) Preoperative localization of parathyroid adenomas with technetium-99m methoxyisobutylisonitrile imaging: relationship with P-glycoprotein expression, oxyphilic cell content, and tumoral tissue volume. Cancer Biother Radiopharm 21: 579-590.
- Sun SS, Shiau YC, Lin CC, Kao A, Lee CC (2001) Correlation between P-glycoprotein (P-gp) expression in parathyroid and Tc-99m MIBI parathyroid image findings. Nucl Med Biol 28: 929-933.
- Katz SC, Wang GJ, Kramer EL, Roses DF (2003) Limitations of Technetium 99m Sestamibi Scintigraphic Localization for Primary Hyperparathyroidism Associated with Multiglandular Disease. Am Surg 69: 170-175.
- Witteveen JE, Kievit J, Stokkel MP, Morreau H, Romijn JA, et al. (2011) Limitations of Tc99m-MIBI-SPECT Imaging Scans in Persistent Primary Hyperparathyroidism. World J Surg 35: 128-139.
Citation: Aboualkheir MM, Fathala A (2017) Dual Parathyroid Pathology; A Common Failure of Technetium-99 Sestamibi Scan for Preoperative Parathyroid Adenoma Localization. J Nucl Med Radiol Radiat Ther 2: 006.
Copyright: © 2017 Ahmed Fathala, et al. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.