Journal of Gerontology & Geriatric Medicine Category: Medical Type: Case Report
Elderly Patient with Hematuria and Lithiasis: The Point of View of the Geriatrician through the Analysis of a Case Report
- Valerio Massimo Magro1*, Michele Caturano2, Carla Coppola3, Walter Verrusio4
- 1 Department Of Internal Medicine And Geriatry, University Of Campania Luigi Vanvitelli, Piazza L Miraglia 2, 80100, Naples, Italy
- 2 Department Of Internal Medicine, AORN San Giovanni Di Dio E Ruggi D’Aragona, Salerno, Italy
- 3 Department Of Intensive Rehabilitation, Casa Di Cura Alma Mater SpA Villa Camaldoli, Naples, Italy
- 4 Department Of Cardiovascular Medicine, Nephrological, Anesthesiological And Geriatric Sciences, RespiratorySapienza University Of Rome, Rome, Italy
*Corresponding Author:Valerio Massimo Magro
Department Of Internal Medicine And Geriatry, University Of Campania Luigi Vanvitelli, Piazza L Miraglia 2, 80100, Naples, Italy
Received Date: Jun 13, 2019 Accepted Date: Jun 26, 2019 Published Date: Jul 03, 2019
Physical examination and geriatric evaluation
Laboratory and radiological examinations
Urinalysis: Acid pH and presence of erythrocytes in the urinary sediment, in the absence of nitrites and bacteriuria. We suspended ASA and other imaging tests were performed. The Rx direct abdomen brought to light "kidney shadows in the partially masked by gas with evidence right training radiopaque with other radiopaque formations in the pelvic cavity"; Abdominal echo "kidney normoconformati to inhomogeneous hypoechoic cortical for cysts, no noticeable signs of obstructed urinary flow, adjusted index nefrometrico and report cortico-pielico; expanse bladder, to thickened walls, with evidence of numerous intraluminal calculations, most subcentimetric (the higher 13 mm); of increased prostate volume, post-void residual 23 cc".
- Hicks D, Li CY (2007) Management of macroscopic haematuria in the emergency department. Emerg Med J 24: 385-390.
- Rodgers M, Nixon J, Hempel S, Aho T, Kelly J, et al. (2006) Diagnostic tests and algorithms used in the investigation of haematuria: Systematic reviews and economic evaluation. Health Technol Assess 10: iii-iv.
- Wiedemann A (2017) [Geriatric urology: Increasingly important in urological care]. Urologe A 56: 992-996.
- Jimbo M (2010) Evaluation and management of hematuria. Prim Care 37: 461-472.
- Müllhaupt G, Engeler DS, Schmid HP, Abt D (2015) How do stone attenuation and skin-to-stone distance in computed tomography influence the performance of shock wave lithotripsy in ureteral stone disease? BMC Urol 15: 72.
- Cakiroglu B, Eyyupoglu SE, Tas T, Balci MC, Hazar I,, et al. (2014) Are Hounsfield densities of ureteral stones a predictive factor for effectiveness of extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy? Int J Clin Exp Med 7: 1276-1283.
- Philippou P, Lamrani D, Moraitis K, Wazait H, Masood J, et al. (2011) Shock-wave lithotripsy in the elderly: Safety, efficacy and special considerations. Arab J Urol 9: 29-33.
- Philippou P, Lamrani D, Moraitis K, Bach C, Masood J, et al. (2012) Is shock wave lithotripsy efficient for the elderly stone formers? Results of a matched-pair analysis. Urol Res 40: 299-304.
- Kramolowsky EV, Quinlan SM, Loening SA (1987) Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy for the treatment of urinary calculi in the elderly. J Am Geriatr Soc 35: 251-254.
- Knoll T, Buchholz N, Wendt-Nordahl G (2012) Extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy vs. percutaneous nephrolithotomy vs. flexible ureterorenoscopy for lower-pole stones. Arab J Urol 10: 336-341.
- Borghi L, Caudarella R, Gambaro G (2000) Guidelines for nephrolithiasis. Italian Society of Nephrology (SIN). Giornale Italiano di Nefrologia 17: 59-64.
- Chaussy CG, Tiselius HG (2018) How can and should we optimize extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy? Urolithiasis 46: 3-17.
- Association of Italian Urologists (AURO) (2007) Guideline on Urinary Stones. AURO, Palazzo Del Casinò, Lido, Italy.
- Oelke M, Roehrborn CG, D'Ancona C, Wilson TH, Castro R, et al. (2014) Nocturia improvement in the combination of Avodart(®) and tamsulosin (CombAT) study. World J Urol 32: 1133-1140.
- Roehrborn CG, Wilson TH, Black LK (2012) Quantifying the contribution of symptom improvement to satisfaction of men with moderate to severe benign prostatic hyperplasia: 4-year data from the CombAT trial. J Urol 187: 1732-1738.
- Walker A, Doyle S, Posnett J, Hunjan M (2013) Cost-effectiveness of single-dose tamsulosin and dutasteride combination therapy compared with tamsulosin monotherapy in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia in the UK. BJU Int 112: 638-646.
- Baggio B (2000) Drawing up guidelines for the management of kidney stones in Italy. J Nephrol 3: 61-64.
- Pagliarulo A, Bertaccini A, Breda G, D'Elia G, Ferri C, et al. (2009) Content '2009 Guidelines''. Italian Society of Urology, Palazzo Del Casinò, Lido, Italy.
- Cupisti A, Vezzoli G, Croppi E, Lombardi M, Marangella M, et al. (2011) Diagnostic procedure and therapy of stones. Trace elements and mineral metabolism.
Citation:Magro VM, Caturano M, Coppola C, Verrusio W (2019) Elderly Patient with Hematuria and Lithiasis: The Point of View of the Geriatrician through the Analysis of a Case Report. J Gerontol Geriatr Med 5: 031.
Copyright: © 2019 Valerio Massimo Magro, et al. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.