Journal of Allergy Disorders & Therapy Category: Clinical Type: Research Article
Association of -590 C/T Il-4 Gene Promoter Polymorphism with Atopy in Polish Patients with Allergic Rhinitis
- Barbara Korzycka-Zaborowska1*, Hanna Zielinska-Blizniewska1, Adam Zaborowski2, Jurek Olszewski3
- 1 Department Of Allergology And Respiratory Rehabilitation, 2nd Chair Of Otolaryngology, Medical University Of Lodz, Poland
- 2 Central Hospital Of Medical University Of Lodz, Poland
- 3 Department Of Otolaryngology And Laryngological Oncology, 2nd Chair Of Otolaryngology, Medical University Of Lodz, Poland
*Corresponding Author:Barbara Korzycka-Zaborowska
Department Of Allergology And Respiratory Rehabilitation, 2nd Chair Of Otolaryngology, Medical University Of Lodz, Poland
Received Date: Jan 07, 2015 Accepted Date: Mar 27, 2015 Published Date: Apr 10, 2015
Materials and methods: 98 patients with allergic rhinitis and 87 controls were included in the study. Polymerase chain reaction-based analysis for -590 C/T IL-4 gene polymorphism was used for genotyping and detection. Atopic status was determined by positive skin prick tests (spts) and total and specific IgE levels. Statistica 9.0 software (Statsoft, Tulusa, USA) was used to perform analysis.
Results: Total IgE levels in patients with present IL-4 polymorphic variant were statistically higher than in patients without IL-4 polymorphism. There was no significant association between the IL-4 gene polymorphism and higher house dust mite and mixed grass pollen IgE levels. The IL-4 polymorphism was strongly associated with allergic rhinitis frequency in the investigated group of patients, chi2=4,368; p<0.05.
Conclusion: The -590 C/T IL-4 gene promoter polymorphism may play an important role in the allergic rhinitis development in the investigated group and influence the clinical symptoms in allergic rhinitis patients.
MATERIALS AND METHODS
Total IgE levels were significantly greater in patients group to compare with controls, chi2=8.460; p2=0.935; p>0.05. Total IgE levels in patients with present IL-4 polymorphic variant were statistically higher than in patients without IL-4 polymorphism, chi2=2.896; p2=0.406; p>0.05; however polymorphic variant was more frequent in patients with IgE level higher than 2. There was no significant association between the IL-4 gene poymorphism and higher mixed grass pollen IgE levels, chi2=6.859; p>0.05; however polymorphic variant was more frequent in patients with IgE level higher than 2 (Table 1).
There was no significant association of IL-4 gene polymorphism and positive house dust mite skin prick tests, chi2=0.221; p>0.05, but the frequency of positive house dust mite skin prick test was strongly correlated with polymorphic variant occurence (F=0.17) (Table 2). The frequency of positive mixed grass pollen skin prick test was correlated with polymorphic variant occurence (F=0.19) (Table 3).
The IL-4 polymorphism was strongly associated with allergic rhinitis frequency in the investigated group of patients, chi2=4.368; p
|IL-4 gene polymorphism||IgE mgp classes||Total|
|IL-4 gene polymorphism||House dust mite skin prick test||Total|
|IL-4 gene polymorphism||Mixed grass pollen skin prick test||Total|
|IL-4 gene polymorphism||Mixed grass pollen skin prick test||Total|
- Settipane RA, Charnock DR (2007) Epidemiology of rhinitis: allergic and nonallergic. Clin Allergy Immunol 19: 23-34.
- Bush RK (2004) Etiopathogenesis and management of perennial allergic rhinitis: a state-of-the-art review. Treat Respir Med 3: 45-57.
- Holgate ST (1999) Genetic and environmental interaction in allergy and asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol 104: 1139-1146.
- Young MC (1998) Rhinitis, sinusitis and polyposis. Allergy Asthma Proc 19: 211-218.
- Leynaert B, Neukirch F, Demoly P, Bousquet J (2000) Epidemiologic evidence for asthma and rhinitis comorbidity. J Allergy Clin Immunol 106: 201-205.
- Pawankar R, Mori S, Ozu C, Kimura S (2011) Overview on the pathomechanisms of allergic rhinitis. Asia Pac Allergy 1: 157-67.
- Bacharier LB, Geha RS (2000) Molecular mechanisms of IgE regulation. J Allergy Clin Immunol 105: 547-558.
- Moser R, Fehr J, Bruijnzeel PL (1992) IL-4 controls the selective endothelium-driven transmigration of eosinophils from allergic individuals. J Immunol 149: 1432-1438.
- Vercelli D (2003) Genetic plymorphism in allergy and asthma. Curr Opin Immunol 15: 609-613.
- Kay AB (2001) Allergy and allergic diseases. First of two parts. N Engl J Med 344: 30-37.
- Dávila I, Mullol J, Ferrer M, Bartra J, del Cuvillo A, et al. (2009) Genetic aspects of allergic rhinitis. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 19: 25-31.
- Paul WE, Seder RA (1994) Lymphocyte responses and cytokines. Cell 76: 241-251.
- Rosenwasser LJ, Klemm DJ, Dresback JK, Inamura H, Mascali JJ, et al. (1995) Promoter polymorphisms in the chromosome 5 gene cluster in asthma and atopy. Clin Exp Allergy 25: 74-78.
- Walley AJ, Cookson W (1996) Investigation of an interleukin-4 promoter polymorphism for associations with asthma and atopy. J Med Genet 33: 689-692.
- Lu MP, Chen RX, Wang ML, Zhu XJ, Zhu LP, et al. (2011) Association study on IL4, IL13 and IL4RA polymorphisms in mite-sensitized persistent allergic rhinitis in a Chinese population. PLoS One 6: 27363.
- Movahedi M, Amirzargar AA, Nasiri R, Hirbod-Mobarakeh A, Farhadi E, et al. (2013) Gene Polymorphisms of Interleukin-4 in Allergic Rhinitis and Its Association with Clinical Phenotypes. Am J Otolaryngol 34: 676-681.
- de Guia RM, Ramos DA (2010) The -590C/T IL-4 single nucleotide polymorphism as a genetic factor of atopic allergy. Int J Epidemiol Genet 1: 67-73.
- Micheal S, Minhas K, Ishaque M, Ahmed F, Ahmed A (2013) IL-4 gene polymorphisms and their association with atopic asthma and allergic rhinitis in Pakistani patients. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 23: 107-111.
- Woitsch B, Carr D, Stachel D, Schmid I, Weiland SK, et al. (2004) A Comprehensive analysis of interleukin 4 receptor polymorphisms and their association with atopy and IgE regulation in childhood. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 135: 319-324.
- Chiang CH, Tang YC, Lin MW, Chung MY (2007) Association between the IL-4 prmoter polymorphisms and asthma or severity of hyperresponsiveness in Taiwanese. Respirology 12: 42-48.
Citation:Korzycka-Zaborowska B, Zieli?ska-Bli?niewska H, Zaborowski A, Olszewski J (2015) Association of -590 C/T Il-4 Gene Promoter Polymorphism With Atopy in Polish Patients With Allergic Rhinitis. J Allergy Disord Ther 2: 004.
Copyright: © 2015 Barbara Korzycka-Zaborowska, et al. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.